Written by Gary Simeone, email@example.com Saturday, 07 June 2014 00:00
The Ronald McDonald House of Long Island (RMH-LI) in New Hyde Park got a new look this past October, thanks to the help of 27 of the regions top interior designers. Two of those designers are local businesswomen, Vasi Ypsilantis of Manhasset and Margreet Cevasco of Sea Cliff, who hosted a fundraiser for the project on Wednesday, May 21.
The 42-bedroom facility is set to add 24 bedrooms and four eat-in kitchens as part of the projects phase II.
All of the designers worked to redesign and renovate the house’s original 18 bedrooms, four kitchens, breakfast room, five common areas, first floor restrooms and three laundry rooms. The house is a home-away-from-home for families of seriously ill children. It was the first phase of a project which will see further renovations to the house starting this July.
“When we saw what was involved in this project and how it would help families in need, we knew we needed to get involved,” said Ypsilantis. “The hospital asked us for a proposal to raise funds and we acted on it.”
Ypsilantis said that she and her fellow designers donated all of the products and paid for the services out of their own pockets.
The whole project took 240 days to complete, running from July to October 2013, with more than $2 million in design, labor and materials being donated to the house. The designers wanted to reflect a theme of love and compassion into the redesigned physical environment that would help parents focus on their children’s healing.
“We acted with our hearts and were very moved to complete this project,” said Cevasco.
Cevasco, who owns Margreet Cevasco Design, said she collaborated with Ypsilantis to design the kitchen with four cooking stations, the dining room area and a coffee lounge.
The second phase of the project, which is scheduled to start in July and end in October, will include adding four more kitchens including a handicap kitchen into a wing of the house.
“From the very start, they were focused on making this space right for the 21 families who are living here,” said Executive Director of Ronald McDonald House of Long Island Matt Campo.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Saturday, 20 September 2014 00:00
The New Hyde Park-Garden City Park School District is planning improvements to a district that has already seen much success in recent years. The school year has only just begun and the Board of Ed is already setting its sights on the future.
At the Sept. 8 board of education meeting, Superintendent Robert Katulak’s monthly report outlined the major goals set for the district last month. While approved in August, the three goals were made available to the public this month and each target different areas for improvement throughout the district.
The first goal deals with English Language Learners (ELL) within the student population. ELL students are those that speak a language other than English at home and score below proficient on assessments.
Last Updated (Tuesday, 16 September 2014 10:15) Friday, 19 September 2014 00:00
Senator Jack Martins discussed education, business and drug use among other topics in a an exclusive interview with this newspaper and FiOS 1 News. He’s currently seeking re-election in November, being challenged by Democrat Adam Haber. Pointing to what he called “key legislation,” particularly the tax cap legislation passed in 2011 and prescription drug bill he helped shepherd to enactment, Martins feels New York State is on track to continue fiscal responsibility.
“In these last four years, we’ve had four balanced budgets, we’ve cut taxes working together, we have paid off debt, streamlined government, kept spending below 2 percent each one of those years,” Martins said.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
Sewanhaka boys soccer coach Peter Burgess wasn’t sure how long his team’s playoff drought was when it was broken last season.
“Somebody said it was 13 years,” said Burgess, whose entering his fourth year coaching varsity. “But I think it was five or six, I don’t know maybe longer.”
But one thing’s for certain, he wants to keep last year’s momentum going.
The Indians, who started their season with a 3-0 loss at Hewlett, will aim for their second straight trip to the playoffs this year.
Thursday, 18 September 2014 00:00
The Sewanhaka Indians made their Nassau Conference II debut with a bang. The Indians opened their season at home against the Calhoun Colts, unsure what to expect, as all they had ever seen of the Colts was one tape of a scrimmage.
“It was nerve raking leading up to the game,” said Head Coach George Kasimatis. “We weren’t sure what to expect on offense or defense, you have to guess early on. “
But it didn’t take the Indians long to introduce themselves to the conference, as junior, Quarterback, Elijah Tracey broke a 75-yard run taking it the distance to put the Indians up early, which ended in a 27-7 rout of the Colts.