Written by Rich Forestano Friday, 14 February 2014 00:00
Operation Main Street has struggled to get off the ground since the plan was fast-tracked by New Hyde Park Village Officials last year. Work has been halted until March 15 due to weather. Village contractor J. Anthony Enterprises expects to finish the project by May 9.
New Hyde Park officials estimated that 35 percent of the project was completed before the stoppage. The village awarded J. Anthony the contract last June, which was the low bid of $1.46 million.
“The work, for all intents and purposes, has been suspended based on the weather,” Mayor Robert Lofaro said.
Benches will be installed on sidewalks, which would be paved with the same rustic red brickwork already in place in some parts of the road near the intersection of Jericho Turnpike. and Lakeville Road. New Hyde Park’s 2009 plan was originally between Ingraham
Lane and Hillside Boulevard. The idea was to set up modern traffic calming features that create a more pedestrian friendly and safer environment, while providing a downtown appeal for the shopping district.
The project, shepherded by trustee Donald Barbieri, has seen its share of ups and downs since late 2013. New Hyde Park faced a hurdle last summer when the New York State Department of Transportation informed the village that old environmental reports needed to be updated before beginning the bid process that led to the J. Anthony hiring.
“Nobody can work in this crazy weather,” Barbieri said. “It’s been an awfully tough month. We tried to close up all the work that had been started. It’s a little frustrating.”
The state required the village board to change project plans three times and amend a resolution it had previously passed regarding federal reimbursement. The DOT did not return calls for comment.
“Mother Nature is Mother Nature,” Barbieri stated in terms of the weather. “What can you do? You had [workers] doing Jericho Turnpike, the DOT doing traffic lights and different subcontractors coming in.”
The village’s project also conflicted with the now finished $21.1 million Jericho Turnpike. repaving project. Barbieri said it was tough to coordinate J. Anthony with DOT contractor Tully Construction and the DOT itself.
“It became difficult to get various parties aligned,” said Barbieri. “Things didn’t proceed quite as quickly as we hoped.”
The project also hit previous snags in March 2012 because of a pending agreement with Verizon and KeySpan to move utility lines.
Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy originally secured a federal grant (about $1.6 million) for the village through a federal transportation appropriation and community block grant funds for the project. McCarthy wrote to the chair of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure in 2009 pushing for the project.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
At the Oct. 17 meeting of the Herricks Board of Education, Superintendent of Schools Dr. John Bierwirth discussed the recent investigation of students who have been illegally attending school in the Herricks School District, despite living in outer areas. Bierwirth said that 14 prospective cases were investigated and eight students were forced to leave the district.
Board of Education President James Gounaris said weeding out students who are attending school in Herricks under false pretenses is boiled down to one fact: it takes away valuable resources from the children of tax-paying members of the community.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Wednesday, 22 October 2014 00:00
Local school districts are reaffirming student hygiene standards in the wake of the non-polio enterovirus (EV- D68) that’s been found in the United States. A strain of the enterovirus was found in Southampton’s middle and high schools, but officials say it was not the virus that has caused the national EV-D68 outbreak.
The disease disproportionately affects infants, children and adolescents who lack immunity, according to the Center for Disease Control. School districts have been notified to follow New York State Health Department guidelines to combat possible infections.
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
The Sewanhaka Indians varsity football team hosted Elmont Spartans on Saturday, Oct. 18 in its final home game of the regular season.
It certainly did not go as the Indians had hoped, falling 18-8, in a mistake filled game. Head coach George Kasimatis said the Indians had their chances, but kept digging themselves into a hole with mental mistakes on both sides of the ball.
Playing from behind, senior running back Brenton Mighty was able to break free for a long touchdown run, to put the Indians on the board.
Thursday, 16 October 2014 00:00
Sewanhaka Indians Head football coach George Kasimatis told his team to expect a dogfight in this weeks game against the New Hyde Park Gladiators, and he was right after its 35-21 victory last week.
“All the kids know each other really well, it’s always competitive when we play each other,” he said.