Written by Rich Forestano Friday, 30 August 2013 00:00
Business is booming at New Hyde Park Auto Body on Second Avenue, which is adding a second building on Third Avenue to accommodate demand. On Tuesday, Aug. 20, the New Hyde Park Village Board approved the plan, which had already been given the Nassau County Planning Commission’s stamp of approval.
Shop owner Charles DiMarino, a New Hyde Park resident for 30 years, says his business has outgrown the current site and he needs to expand. His shop specializes in collision repairs, foreign, domestic and fiberglass work as well as color-matching and unibody repairs. He envisions the new digs resembling a dealership where all cars can be viewed.
“It’s very cramped in our shop,” he said. “The [new] spot, it’ll help tremendously.”
Currently, the shop operates from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. The new location, with 11 or 12 car lifts, will focus on body and frame work, according to DiMarino, and house the business offices. Cars would be moved to the existing location, which has seven car lifts, for “finishing and assembly.” DiMarino employs nine people and plans to hire another seven once the new location opens.
Trustee Richard Coppola was concerned with car storage and prep work on vehicles. “We just want to make sure the area is not negatively impacted,” he said.
Environmental issues, specifically smells, are always a cause for concern when it comes to expanding an auto body shop. DiMarino says he’s taken measures to mitigate possible negative impact on residents.
“We’re a green shop,” he said. “We use waterborne material, which has limited amounts of flammables. Most body shops use solvent-based products. I don’t. [In the new location] there won’t be any of that.”
The size of the whole old property is 6,500 square feet. DiMarino estimates the shop itself takes up about 2,800 square feet. The new building will be about 5,000 square feet.
“It’ll be a drive-in facility, so when you pull in, you’ll be able to get the cars out of bad weather and the like,” DiMarino said. “We outgrew [the current site]. We have the lot with all the cars so there’ll be less cars out on the street.”
New Hyde Park Public Works Superintendent Tom Gannon said parking will not be an issue. He canvassed the area and the building encompasses the entire property, so all cars will be stored inside on site.
“It’s a big warehouse with office space inside so it’ll fit,” he stated.
Last Updated (Wednesday, 27 August 2014 11:11) Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
The Village of New Hyde Park will soon hear Manhattan businessman Sam Chan’s proposal to open a 84-seat hibachi-style restaurant at 1215 Jericho Tpke. in New Hyde Park, the former spot of the maligned Empire Billiards Hall. The hearing is set for Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 7:30 p.m.
“The board will be hearing the case for restaurant usage,” Mayor Robert Lofaro said. “This will also have to go before the zoning board. They will likely hear the case.”
Last Updated (Wednesday, 27 August 2014 09:45) Wednesday, 27 August 2014 08:35
A fatal car accident on Tuesday, Aug. 19 that claimed the life of a 55-year-old man on Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park could fast-track a $250,000 Nassau County project announced last month to install traffic calming features along the road. The project would run north from Jericho Turnpike in New Hyde Park, south to Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont.
“The project is already ongoing and will continue to progress,” said Nassau County Department of Public Works rep Michael Martino.
Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
New York Mets pitcher Zack Wheeler and catcher Travis d’Arnaud brightened the day for some patients at Cohen Children’s Medical Center last week in New Hyde Park, posing for pictures and handing out gifts and autographs. The players hung out with the kids in the afternoon, playing video games and answering questions.
They also found the time to make the rounds, stopping by bedsides to spread some cheer. Mr. Met also joined the tour and was a big hit with the children, who peppered him with questions about everything from his four-fingered hand to the whereabouts of the missing Mrs. Met.
Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
The Sewanhaka Indians football team has a season of change in store.
The Indians have moved up from Conference III to Conference II, due to an increase in enrollment, and are set to face teams that they have never seen before, according to head coach George Kasimatis.
“It is hard to gauge where we will be in this conference,” he said. “There is a lot of uncertainty as where we fit in.”