Written by Rich Forestano Thursday, 25 April 2013 00:00
Number crunching is over for the Village of New Hyde Park after the board of trustees adopted the 2013-14 village budget on Tuesday, April 16. The final total budget is set at $5,853,068.67, which represents a $31,433.51 increase from last year.
The village will not pierce the state-imposed 2 percent tax cap, affirming a 2.04 ($4,061,113.39) tax levy increase. On April 2, the village presented a tentative 2.23 percent tax levy, which mirrored New York State’s allowable limit to New Hyde Park.
Residents will pay an additional $29.16 per year. New Hyde Park voted to allow the village to exceed the cap if needed on Jan. 15.
The village could not raise the levy more than about $90,000. Mayor Robert Lofaro announced the year-to-year tax levy increase was $81,314. The first draft of the budget was approximately $7,000 more than the official increase.
“I’d like to thank everyone that was involved in the budget process,” Lofaro said. “Passing the budget only means that we set what the tax rate is and that’s the amount we’re going to collect in taxes. It doesn’t mean we’re going to spend any of this money, or we may spend more, or less. As the year progresses, we’ll see. The budget is a guideline, but we obviously want to remain within the budget.”
The village’s objective is to come into next year with a surplus, not a deficit, according to Lofaro. New Hyde Park’s tax rate went up 2.94 percent ($0.58). The tentative budget originally called for a 3.9 percent tax rate increase.
Health expenses in New Hyde Park are projected to increase $5,196.72 ($688,642.72) from last year. Village officials noted that some employees have to contribute between 10 and 20 percent for medical, dental and vision expenses.
Retirement expenses are expected to total $387,615; a $29,901 increase from the prior budget. Other notable employee benefit budget lines like workers compensation took a dive, topping off at $143,096.45, a $1,903.55 drop.
Village revenues dipped to $1,791,955.28, a 2.71 percent decrease from last year. Salaries saw a 2.94 percent increase in adopted budget, with the village’s employee contract set to expire on May 30, 2014.
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Saturday, 01 November 2014 00:00
Peter Zuckerman is running as the Democratic Party’s incumbent candidate for 2nd District on the Town of North Hempstead Council. The Second District encompasses the villages in the Mineola area.
“Nine months ago, I was recommended by Supervisor Judi Bosworth and approved with bipartisan support of the Town Board. This has been a dream job for me,” Zuckerman told the
Mineola American, on explaining why he is running for office. “I had the pleasure of serving the residents of the incorporated Village of East Hills for 11 great years, but this job has given me the opportunity to expand the area I represent and, thus, the opportunity to be of service to a greater number of people.”
Last Updated (Monday, 29 November 1999 19:00) Tuesday, 28 October 2014 12:20
Running for his second major office in as many years, Adam Haber touched on familiar themes in a visit to Anton Media Group to discuss his candidacy for the Seventh District New York State Senate seat, where Haber is challenging the Republican incumbent, Jack Martins.
Haber entered politics in 2009, when he ran for and won, a seat on the Roslyn School Board. The district was then reeling from an embezzlement scandal that had cost it millions of dollars. Haber touted his achievements on the board, including bringing finances into line to the point where the district has seen the lowest tax increases of any district in Nassau County. Last year, Haber ran for the Democratic Party’s nomination to challenge Edward P. Mangano for the Nassau County executive’s race.
Tuesday, 28 October 2014 12:34
The Sewanhaka Indians topped the Herricks Highlanders, 26-6, on Saturday, Oct. 25. The Indians (5-2) Garden City High School to close out the regular season on Saturday, Nov. 1 at 2 p.m. at 170 Rockaway Ave., Garden City.
(Photos by Stephen Takacs)
Thursday, 23 October 2014 00:00
The Sewanhaka Indians varsity football team hosted Elmont Spartans on Saturday, Oct. 18 in its final home game of the regular season.
It certainly did not go as the Indians had hoped, falling 18-8, in a mistake filled game. Head coach George Kasimatis said the Indians had their chances, but kept digging themselves into a hole with mental mistakes on both sides of the ball.
Playing from behind, senior running back Brenton Mighty was able to break free for a long touchdown run, to put the Indians on the board.