Friday, 17 February 2012 00:00
Holy Family CYO has created a scholarship to honor the memory of Tommy Orlando. Tommy, who died tragically in December 2008, was a longtime coach at Holy Family CYO and also coached youth sports for several other organizations in Hicksville. Holy Family CYO will award two $1,000 scholarships annually to applicants who meet the following criteria:
• Applicant must be a graduating high school senior.
• Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
• Applicant must have a high school GPA of 80 or higher.
• Applicant must have substantial community service experience during their high school career as determined by the selection committee.
• Applicant must have been a member of Holy Family CYO for a minimum of two years.Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher or guidance officer and proof of their high school GPA. Applicants also must submit an activity sheet, which details their community service experiences during high school. A cover letter should accompany the required documentation and should describe the applicant’s participation in Holy Family CYO, including years and sports.
At the time the scholarship selections are made students may be requested to show proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university.
All documentation should be mailed to: Holy Family CYO Attn: Ed Hebron 17 Fordham Ave., Hicksville NY 11801. Documentation must be received by March 14. Hicksville High School students should submit their application to the Hicksville High School guidance office by the deadline shown in the HHS Directory of Local Scholarships booklet. Scholarship winners will be selected by Holy Family CYO.