Friday, 25 December 2009 00:00
The Oyster Bay Town Board has awarded a contract to construct a new, state-of-the-art parking facility in Hicksville, according to Supervisor John Venditto, who said that the new structure will have two levels below ground, one at grade level and one level above ground and will park approximately 1,400 vehicles – the same as the previous facility.
The contract was awarded to Peter Scalamandre & Sons, Inc., in the amount of $33.083 million. Scalamandre has built a number of parking structures, including Roosevelt Field, Stony Brook University and at Kennedy Airport’s Jet Blue Terminal, not to mention a long list of major buildings such as power plants, correctional facilities, office buildings and sewerage treatment plants, as well as roadways.
The supervisor noted that the decision to rebuild on the site of the demolished parking facility was made only after the town explored other potential locations and considered suggestions and concerns from residents, which ranged from don’t build anything to build even bigger. Venditto added that many suggestions by residents were incorporated into the final design.
Construction, according to Venditto, is expected to begin early in the new year and take 14 months from start to completion.
To accommodate commuters while construction of the new garage takes place, the town will continue to provide parking at the Broadway Mall, located on the west side of Broadway (Routes 106/107) and the Sears parking lot, located on the east side of Broadway (Routes 106/107) in Hicksville. In addition, the town has continued to provide the use of shuttle buses, which operate to and from the Broadway Mall and Sears during peak commuter hours.
Parking/shuttle bus use at Broadway Mall is available from 5 to 7:30 a.m. and 4 to 9 p.m.; parking/shuttle bus use at Sears is available from 7:30 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 9 p.m. Parking is available Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, and a Town of Oyster Bay parking permit is required to use the commuter parking areas at both the Broadway Mall and Sears.
In addition to the parking spaces secured at Broadway Mall and Sears, the town has a number of other existing parking facilities in downtown Hicksville that offer commuter parking in designated spaces. A Town of Oyster Bay Parking Permit is required to park in those facilities, which are listed on the town’s website. Any new information pertaining to the Hicksville Parking Garage will be posted online at http://www.oysterbaytown.com/ as it becomes available.
Permit-holding commuters planning to park after 7:30 a.m. should report directly to the designated lot behind the Sears Auto Center. If arriving before 7:30 a.m., residents may continue to park at the Broadway Mall Monday through Friday. There are no shuttle buses on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays.
Shuttle buses run Monday through Friday at the following times: 5 to 7:30 a.m. Broadway Mall; 7:30 to 9 a.m. Sears; and 4 to 9 p.m. Broadway Mall and Sears.
In addition to the Broadway Mall and Sears parking lots, there are a number of other parking facilities in downtown Hicksville that offer parking spaces for residents with a Town of Oyster Bay Parking Permit. All regular parking restrictions in these lots are being enforced. These lots include:
• H-2 north side of LIRR, south side of West Barclay Street, west of Newbridge Road
• H-5 north side of LIRR, south side of West Barclay Street, between Newbridge Road and Jerusalem Avenue
• H-6 north side of LIRR between Broadway and Jerusalem Avenue
• H-9 East Marie Street opposite Hicksville Fire Department
• H-10 north side of West Marie Street east of Jerusalem Avenue
• H-11 south side of East Barclay Street and north side of East Marie Street east of Broadway
• H-12 at intersection of East Marie Street and East Nicholai Street
• H-13 at intersection of Bay Avenue and Heitz Place
• H-14 between north side of East Marie Street and south side of Heitz Place
• H-16 south side of West Barclay Street, north side of LIRR, west of Newbridge Road
• H-17 north side of West Barclay Street between Strong and Maple Streets
• H-18 south side of West Barclay Street, north side of LIRR, west of Newbridge Road
• H-19 north side of West Barclay Street and Wyckoff Avenue, north side of LIRR, west of Newbridge Road