Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Quilting For Comfort

When Evelyn Biamonte heard of a need within her church community back in 2007, she knew that she had the talent and the drive to fill it. A member of Hicksville United Methodist Church, Biamonte explained that there was a need for warmth from the church to both members and non-members of the congregation, so with a little help, she decided to bring the warmth the best way she knew how — by making quilts.

A quilter for more than 20 years, Biamonte started the Quilters Of The Cloth ministry at the church. The group meets on Tuesday nights — some members are members of the parish community, while others joined after hearing about the club through word-of-mouth. The nine member group makes 20 to 22 quilts per year for all occasions — weddings, baptisms and, of course, for comfort.

“A lot of people come to our church to get married or to have their children baptized and they aren’t members, so we give them the gift of love,” Biamonte said.

In addition, said Biamonte, the group also makes quilts for those in the community that are going through difficult life situations. “We stitch prayers and love into each quilt,” she said. “Sometimes when you are going through a hard time, it’s good to be able to wrap yourself in love. It just becomes a comfort,” she said.

The group works with the church office and is able to plan ahead for weddings and baptisms, but the group always tries to keep a few different kinds on hand in case of an emergency. Additionally, each member of the quilting group plans their own quilts and works on them from start to finish, with a little help from Biamonte, if needed.

The women work off of donations for large-ticket items, however, Biamonte supplies about 80 percent of the materials herself, while another member, Suzie, supplies the other 20 percent.

“I don’t mind doing it. I have a hefty stash of fabric and it brings me joy to make somebody happy. As long as we can continue to supply it, we will,” Biamonte said.

However, it’s not just the quilting that brings warmth. Biamonte and the women all agree that this group brings them such important things in life including confidence and camaraderie.

Kim, a member of the group, explained that it is so amazing to see what can be created with hard work, love and a little guidance. “This club is just so great for your confidence. When you are done with a project, you just take a step back and go, ‘Wow, I made that!’ and the end project is just so beautiful,” she said.

Biamonte said, “I’m just so happy to have this group. Not only the art of quilting, but it’s also the fellowship. Knowing that other people are there means a lot and we do have quite a lot of laughs,” she said.