Wednesday, 04 December 2013 00:00
The Town of Oyster Bay will be having a public forum to discuss a state-funded brownfield study. Community members will have the opportunity to review and provide input on the study, which describes the existing conditions of the area and possible revitailization options. The forum will take place from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, at 40 W. Nicholai St. For more information about the project, visit http://sustainableli.org/what-we-do/brownfields/hicksville-boa/
Zoo Health Club, located at 382 W. Old Country Road, will be holding a fundraising event for Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, which helps in the fight against kid’s cancer. There will be raffles, live music, a lemonade stand and 30 minute fitness classes including zumba, kickboxing, bootcamp, ab blast, sculpt and burn, and yoga. $15 gets you classes for the whole day. 100 percent of proceeds go to the foundation. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site hosts Christmas with the Roosevelts at Sagamore Hill on Dec. 7, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Activities include holiday music performed by Larry Moser and Mary Nagin, Christmas carols sung by the quartet Close Enough, and James Foote, TR enactor will tell how the Roosevelts celebrated Christmas at Sagamore Hill and in the White House. Holiday arts and crafts activities for children of all ages. Complimentary hot cocoa and cider provided by the Friends of Sagamore Hill. The Visitor Center bookstore offers 15 percent off on Dec. 7 and 8. Theodore Roosevelt Museum at Old Orchard and the grounds are open with free interpretive programs offered daily. For further information call 922-4788.
Boy Scout Troop 291 will be having a Christmas Wreath Sale from 9 a.m. to noon at Trinity Lutheran Church, 40 West Nicholai Street in Hicksville. They will be selling wreaths, grave blankets and center pieces.
The Hicksville Fire Department will be hosting a fire safety open house at the Strong Street fire station #3 on W. John Street. Santa will arrive by fire engine at noon. Families and children will be able to meet him, and get fire safety information. There will be several safety demonstrations. Children will also get to ride on a fire enginge. From noon to 3 p.m.
Joseph Barry Knights will be having a New Year’s Eve Party at 45 Heitz Place in Hicksville from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. There will be a DJ, open bar, chicken cordon blue,vegetables, Potatoes, coffee and cake. Bring you own snacks and noisemakers. Casual attire. $35 per person, $70 per couple. Checks payable to: Joseph Barry Knights of Columbus. Reservations required, no money will be accepted at the door. Please send checks by Dec. 17. Contact Brian at 516-457-6190 for more information.
Hicksville’s Joseph Barry Columbiettes will be sponsoring a trip to Mohegan Sun. Bus will leave from the old St. Ignatius school parking lot at Nicholai Street at 8:45 am. Cost will be $42 per person (Return $15 food + $15 Big Wheel). Checks payable to: Joseph Barry Columbiettes. For reservations call Joan at 516-938-4261.
• Bible Study at Parkway Community Church, 95 Stewart Ave., Hicksville. Every Wednesday at 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. For more information call 516-938-1233 or go to www.parkwaychurch.org.
• Bible Studies conducted by the Cornerstone Christian Church of LI every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at 250 W. Old Country Rd., Country Bridge Plaza, (behind Antun’s Catering House; nearest cross road: Route 106). For more information call 516-342-1552 or go to www.cornerstonechristianchurchny.com.
• Mid Nassau Jewish Retirement Club meets every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Temple Emanuel 123 Merrick Ave., East Meadow. New members are welcome. Call Marty Fein 516-485-3171.
• Martial Arts America in Hicksville, 300 South Broadway, holds free Child Safety workshops on Saturdays. The free workshops are offered as part of the school’s monthly community service. For more information, visit www.MaaSchools.com or call 516-932-5275.
• Hicksville Homemakers business meeting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the William Bennett Community Center, 28 W. Carl St. Come in and join the group and become a member. Classes held every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Hicksville Mid-Island Seniors currently meets Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Bethpage Senior Community Center. The organization is open to seniors ages 62 and older and offers trips, games and more. Call Andy for more information at 516-349-7801.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW meeting at 7:30 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. For information call 931-7843. Meetings are held every second and fourth Monday of each month.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW Ladies Auxiliary meets at 8 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. Meetings are held every second Monday of the month.
• The Board Of Fire Commissioners regular meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month except in the month of December when the meeting is held on the first Tuesday. Meetings start at 6:30 p.m. in the board room of the E. Marie St. Firehouse.
• Jewish War Veterans, Gieir-Levitt Post #655 invite all Jewish war veterans to join them at the Mid-Island Y JCC, 45 Manetto Hill Rd., Plainview, at 9 a.m. on the second Sunday of every month. Call Larry Sklar 942-3327.
• Order Sons Of Italy in America invites those interested to join the Galileo Galilei Lodge #2253 in Hicksville. The meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at Wm. Bennett Community Building, 28 W. Carl St. Join by calling Marie Matassa 516-931-2843 for an application.
• Bethpage Masonic Lodge No. 975 Free And Accepted Masons will meet at 8 p.m. at the Hicksville Masonic Temple, 18 W. Nicholai St., Hicksville. For information call 731-2488. Meetings are every second and fourth Friday.