Wednesday, 04 September 2013 00:00
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church at 20 Field Avenue in Hicksville will hold their annual Greek Festival on Friday, Sept. 6 from 5 to 11 p.m., on Saturday, Sept. 7 from noon to 11 p.m. and on Sunday, Sept. 8 from noon to 11 p.m. Free parking at National Grid on New South Road in designated areas with shuttle service. Free admission to festival. Raffles, food, dancing, music, and boutique available. Call 516-433-4522 for information.
The Hicksville Fire Department will hold its annual 9-11 Memorial Service on Sept. 8 at 11 a.m. at the Strong Street Fire Station memorial.
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Hicksville Fire Department will sponsor a yard sale in the parking lot of the fire house on West John Street in Hicksville on Sept. 14 and Sept. 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 516-433-6297 for information.
Join Assemblyman Michael Montesano on Sept. 27 from 7:15 to 8:15 p.m. at the Hicksville Public Library for important information about hurricane and emergency preparedness. A state emergency representative will also be present. Call 516-937-3571 for information.
The Long Island NAIM Widow and Widowers dance will be held on Sept. 20 from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Massapequa Elks, 2162 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. All are welcome, cost is $14. DJ Ray will be playing the music. Call Maureen for information at 516-781-4763.
Nassau County will host the third annual veterans’ barbecue, rain or shine on Sept. 20 at Eisenhower Park, parking field 6. Lunch will be served and entertainment will include a live band. County agencies will be present to offer assistance and information to veterans. Call 516-572-0200 for information.
New York State’s longest running county fair on Sept. 20, Sept. 21, Sept. 22, Friday, Sept. 27, 28 and 29 at Old Bethpage Village Restoration. Prize winning vegetables, flowers, crafts, farm animals. Brass band concerts, traditional music, wagon and pony rides and more. Call 516-571-8406.
Hispanic American heritage celebration at Eisenhower Park on Sept. 22. Call 516-571-3261 for information.
Whooo’s That Owl Exhibit at Tackapausha Museum on Sept. 28, beginning at 1 p.m. Meet live owls up close and have all of your questions answered. Call 516-571-7443 for information.
Nassau County’s 4th Annual Cruise to the Show car parade, car show and auction on Sept. 28 and Sept. 29 at Eisenhower Park. Parade and car show begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Briarcliffe College, cruising to Eisenhower Park for car display and judging with live music, food and entertainment for the whole family. Visit: www.cruisetotheshow.com or call 516-315-6397 for information.
Eddie Money in concert on Sept. 28 at Eisenhower Park at 4:30 p.m. Show is free and open to the public. Call 516-572-0200 for information.
The Special Olympics of New York will hold its annual Fall Classic on Sept. 28 at Cantiague Park. Participant registration due before Sept. 13. Volunteers needed. Sports include: softball, soccer, cross country, golf and bocce. Visit www.nyso.org for information.
County’s 2nd Annual Oktoberfest at Eisenhower Park. Enjoy live music, German food, beer and more on Oct. 5 and Sunday, Oct. 6 from noon to 5 p.m. Call 516-572-0200 for information.
A fun half marathon and 5k run on Oct. 6 at Eisenhower Park, beginning at 8 a.m.
Annual Haunted Halloween party on Oct. 16 at 1 p.m. at Tackapausha Museum. Enjoy animal presentations, crafts, games. Costumes are encouraged. Call 516-571-7443 for information.
First annual music festival at Eisenhower Park on Oct. 19. Free and open to public. This year featuring Gloria Gaynor and many top local talent. Call 516-572-0200 for information.
Step back into the later 1800s and watch history come alive as cowboys saddle up and engage in a shooting match at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration on Oct. 19. Call 516-572-8400 for information.
Haunted Halloween at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration on Oct. 19-20, 26-27. Includes a monster scavenger hunt, tales from the grave digger, pumpkin carving demonstrations, tarot card readings, broom making for witches, and more. Call 516-572-8400 for information.
The Special Olympics of New York will hold the Long Island Softball Tournament on Oct. 19 at the East Meadow Softball Complex. Participant registration due before Oct. 11. Volunteers needed. Visit www.nyso.org for information.
County’s 2nd Annual Fall Golf Classic at Eisenhower Park. Participants treated to giveaways, prizes, raffles, and a catered lunch. Registration began on June 1. Call 516-572-0328 for information.
• Bible Study at Parkway Community Church, 95 Stewart Ave., Hicksville. Every Wednesday at 11 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. For more information call 516-938-1233 or go to www.parkwaychurch.org.
• Overeaters Anonymous. Are you a compulsive overeater? Undereater? Overeaters Anonymous can help. There is a meeting on Tuesdays on the corner of Salisbury Park Dr. and Carmans Rd., East Meadow, across from the firehouse, from 7:45 to 9:15 p.m. Call for directions 997-4534. For information about the meeting call Nancy 798-2547 (between 7 and 9 p.m.) or Ed 845-5423.
• Bible Studies conducted by the Cornerstone Christian Church of LI every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at 250 W. Old Country Rd., Country Bridge Plaza, (behind Antun’s Catering House; nearest cross road: Route 106). For more information call 342-1552 or go to www.cornerstonechristianchurchny.com.
• Mid Nassau Jewish Retirement Club meets every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Temple Emanuel 123 Merrick Ave., East Meadow. New members are welcome. Call Marty Fein 485-3171.
• Martial Arts America in Hicksville, 300 South Broadway, holds free Child Safety workshops on Saturdays. The free workshops are offered as part of the school’s monthly community service. For more information, visit www.MaaSchools.com or call 932-5275.
• Hicksville Homemakers business meeting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the William Bennett Community Center, 28 W. Carl St. Come in and join the group and become a member. Classes held every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Hicksville Mid-Island Seniors currently meets Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Bethpage Senior Community Center. The organization is open to seniors ages 62 and older and offers trips, games and more. Call Andy for more information at 349-7801.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW meeting at 7:30 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. For information call 931-7843. Meetings are held every second and fourth Monday of each month.
• William M. Gouse Jr. Post #3211 VFW Ladies Auxiliary meets at 8 p.m. at 320 S. Broadway. Meetings are held every second Monday of the month.
• Korean War Veterans of NC Chapter #1 regular monthly meeting at 8 p.m. (1:30 p.m. during the winter months) at American Legion Post #1711, 3123 N. Jerusalem Rd., Levittown. The chapter meets on the third Monday of every month (except July and August). Call 334-1025.
• The LI Psoriasis Network Meetup Group will get together in the second floor In-Service Classroom of North Shore University Hospital at Plainview, 888 Old Country Rd., on the first Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m. All are welcome. No cost. More information is available at http://psoriasis.meetup.com/24/
• Order Sons Of Italy in America invites those interested to join the Galileo Galilei Lodge #2253 in Hicksville. The meetings are held on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at Wm. Bennett Community Building, 28 W. Carl St. Join by calling Marie Matassa 516-931-2843 for an application.
• The Board Of Fire Commissioners regular meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month except in the month of December when the meeting is held on the first Tuesday. Meetings start at 6:30 p.m. in the board room of the E. Marie St. Firehouse. Meetings are also held on the third Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. at which time department matters and small details are discussed with the chiefs of the department.
• Nassau County Aquarium Society meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, 66 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. Free parking, free admission, guests welcome. Refreshments served. Junior members always welcome. Call Mike Foran 798-6766; Ken Smith 631-589-0913 or Brandie 631-473-4018.
• NC Mothers Of Twins Club, a caring support, education and resource for parents of multiples. Meetings are at 7:30 p.m. at the Parkway Community Church, 95 Stewart Ave., on the third Tuesday of each month with the exception of July and December. Call 616-3366 or visit www.NCMOC.org.
• Alzheimer’s Support Group. Are you a caregiver who would like to share your experience with others? There is strength in knowing you are not alone. Join this support group at 7 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month in the Adult Day Health Care Program Room at the Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 378 Syosset-Woodbury Rd., Woodbury. Call Sheldon Rybak, RCSW/ACSW 622-7770.
• Your Widows/Widowers Social Group, a nonsectarian, nonprofit organization of widows and widowers ages 50 to 70 years of age. Fee for members is $3, nonmembers $5. Meets at 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at St. Joseph’s Church, 5th St. and Franklin Ave., Garden City, on the third Wednesday of each month. Call Diana 481-9280. No meeting at the church during July and August.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization. General meeting at 8 to 11 p.m. at the Elks Club, 2612 Veterans Blvd., Massapequa. All are invited. Meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month. For further information contact Chris 631-842-6734.
• Catholic War Veterans. All Catholics who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces are invited to attend the meeting of Joseph Barry Post No. 1946 of the Catholic War Veterans on the third Thursday of each month at 8 pm. at the Joseph Barry Knights of Columbus Council, 45 Heitz Pl. For information on joining call 433-5008.
• Perceptual Problems Affecting Reading/Learning. Free meetings about a little-known but common perceptual problem which affects the reading and learning capabilities of children and adults, as featured on 60 Minutes, are now being held at Perceptual Change Associates, 120 Bethpage Rd., Hicksville. Seating is limited for the twice monthly meetings being held on the first Friday and second Thursday of each month from 2 to 3 p.m. For reservations to learn more about this easily correctable perceptual problem call 822-4900.
• Bethpage Masonic Lodge No. 975 Free And Accepted Masons will meet at 8 p.m. at the Hicksville Masonic Temple, 18 W. Nicholai St., Hicksville. For information call 731-2488. Meetings are every second and fourth Friday.
• St. Bernard’s W/W Interfaith Organization Dance every fourth Friday at the Elks Club, Veterans Blvd., Massapequa, at 8 p.m. to midnight. $14. For further information contact call Chris 631-842-6734.
• The River Flows Coffee House, an evening of fellowship consisting of conversation, board games, music that rocks as well as coffee provided by Starbucks and cake are offered. Presented by The River of Life Church on the second Saturday of each month. A free will offering of $7 per adult is allocated to a “Free Lunch Buffet” and other church ministries. 15 W. Marie St. 7:30 to 11:30 p.m. Donations of nonperishable, prepackaged and canned foods and personal hygiene products are needed to provide aid for the poor or homeless and can be dropped off Sundays from 1 to 3 p.m. or by appointment. Call Pastor James Cohen 937-9226.
• Jewish War Veterans, Gieir-Levitt Post #655 invite all Jewish war veterans to join them at the Mid-Island Y JCC, 45 Manetto Hill Rd., Plainview, at 9 a.m. on the second Sunday of every month. Call Larry Sklar 942-3327.
Safe Boating Courses, free vessel safety checks and more from America’s Boating Club, the United States Power Squadrons. With 18 squadrons around Long Island, there’s one near you. Visit WeBoatSafe.org or call 1-800-341-8777 for more information.
Located at 950 South Oyster Bay Rd., Hicksville. The following programs are offered:
• The Community Program has a group for senior citizens. The Golden Years? The group is open to all people over 60 who are dealing with issues related to drugs or alcohol. This is an opportunity to talk confidentially with your peers as well as having the support and guidance of a skilled professional. Medicare and most other insurances are accepted. The Community Program is also a NYS DMV approved facility. For information about this or any other services call 822-4060.
• A support group for those who have family members with mental illness meets Mondays from 7 to 8 p.m. A nominal fee is charged. Therapeutic and supportive services to people hampered in their functioning by mental illness, psychological difficulties and/or substance abuse and addiction problems is provided. Among its services, the agency provides outpatient mental health services for children and adults living in Nassau County. The staff is comprised of psychiatrists, registered nurses and certified social workers. Call 516-822-6111.
• An outpatient substance abuse agency offering a Parenting Group. This group specializes in parenting issues for substance abusers. While drug use among teens has declined in other parts of the country, it continues to rise here in Nassau County. For information on this group as well as other services, call 516-822-4060. All inquiries are confidential.