Thursday, 02 January 2014 10:46
Seniors Daniel Sloan and Keley Abbriano were recently awarded the Nassau Zone Outstanding Physical Education Award for the 2013-14 school year. They were awarded this honor based on several criteria:
• Physical Education Achievement — earning above an “A” GPA every year in Physical Education Classes
• Scholastically Sound — a student who has earned an overall GPA between a 3.0-4.0 and is working up to their potential
• Outstanding Character — contributes to the overall positive tone of the Physical Education Classes as well as the school. The student makes an outstanding effort to be cooperative, honest, poised, self-confident, attentive, industrious and enthusiastic. And at all times is working to support the instructional efforts of the class.• Physical Education Leader — leader in class activities and accepts responsibility well
• School Wide Activities Leader — active in the leadership capacity within the school environment
• Role Model — student achieves a high level of physical fitness as determined by individual accomplishments. Student demonstrates a positive attitude toward the instructional activity and provides support for the success of others.
Friday, 18 April 2014 00:00
When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. That’s just what a Hicksville baker is doing, except in her case it isn’t lemons, but a gluten-free diet. Her lemonade stand of choice is her brand new gluten-free eatery, “Jac’s Bakeshop and Bistro,” which held its grand opening on April 12.
“I’m a baker who can’t even eat wheat or eggs,” said owner Jaclyn Messina, chuckling at the irony.
Thursday, 17 April 2014 00:00
There’s a lot you can do in 99 minutes. You could cook dinner, play a non-stop soccer game, watch a romantic comedy or hang out with Odysseus, Achilles and Hercules. If you chose the last option, Hicksville High School’s upcoming theatre production of The Iliad, The Odyssey, and All of Greek Mythology in 99 Minutes or Less is the place for you.
The mouthful of a title says it all. The cast will take on over 80 characters as they speed through all of Greek mythology, including popular tales such as The Iliad and The Odyssey, in a little over an hour and a half.
Thursday, 17 April 2014 09:01
Vito Sciascia was recently named Hicksville Soccer Club’s Volunteer of the Year at the 2014 Long Island Junior Soccer League 2014 Kick-off Convention.
Sciascia started coaching travel soccer in 1998 for a boys team, the Flash, who later changed their names to the Muddogs. He could always be found at various sporting fields trying to recruit new soccer players. He would make each of these boys feel important and there was always room for another player. He tried to never turn a child away and when other coaches were having trouble with a boy he would take them on his team, no one was ever too much for him. Sciascia found the good in all those boys and they in return respected him. He took them to many tournaments and solicited enough sponsorship so that it was never a financial burden on their families.
Thursday, 10 April 2014 09:49
Cantiague Park Senior Men’s Golf League had its first tournament on Thursday April 4. Twenty golfers came out on on a crisp but sunny morning. Charlie Hong was the only man to score under a 40, with a 38 and won for low overall score. Jim O’ Brien scored a 41, and won low overall net in a tie-breaker with Mike Guerriero.
Competition on the nine-hole course is divided into two divisions. Flight A is for players with a handicap of 13 or lower. Flight B is for players with a handicap of 14 or more. The league is a 100 percent handicap league. Any man 55 years or older is eligible for membership. We have many openings for this year, and you can sign up anytime throughout the the season.