According to Donna Sadowski, resident of Hope Lane in Hicksville, the fire that erupted at her house last month was not caused by an unattended candle although the Hicksville Fire Department's preliminary investigation determined the cause to be just that.
According to Hope Lane resident Donna Sadowski, an unattended candle in her son's room did not cause a house fire in Hicksville last month.
Photo by Cathy Greenfield
"It was determined to be caused by an extension cord in my son's room. At the scene of the fire, they asked me and my son if we knew what had caused the fire and my 18-year-old son admitted he had been burning a candle earlier but that he was sure he had blown it out. As it turns out, that was the truth," Sadowski said.
Owen Magee, public information officer for the Hicksville Fire Department, said Monday, "We were a little misled because the kid admitted he lighted a candle. The preliminary investigation stated the candle was the probable cause and everyone was satisfied with that. The homeowner's insurance company then came in and performed an in-depth investigation. It was determined the fire was caused by an electrical wire pinched underneath the dresser which was where the candle was."
Moreover, Sadowski said, "My mother, who was the only one home at the time of the blaze, was standing in the driveway in her nightgown and spoke to firefighters who first arrived on the scene. She remained outside for over an hour, telling them that all the residents were out and that only the animals were in the house." Two cats and a dog died in the blaze.
Sadowski also said they did have smoke detectors in the house although fire department reports stated otherwise. "The one in the room where the fire started was tied in to the electrical system with a battery back-up." However, Magee still says the smoke detectors were not operating. "When our guys were in there, it was dead quiet. Of course, that scares the hell out of firefighters when you get a night call and nobody is out front telling them anything and the house is deathly quiet. If they had smoke detectors, none of them were working." With the extent of damage, it's possible they could've been destroyed."
Sadowski would like to thank the fire department and the community. "The fire department responded extremely quickly and professionally. I personally know some of the men who responded and know them to be very caring, community-minded individuals. My father was a firefighter in Levittown my whole life and my brother is still a firefighter in another community. I know the sacrifices these men have to make to keep our community safe.
"Their dedication, caring and professionalism are very deeply appreciated. As to both the fire department and the community, words cannot express our deep gratitude for all the love and support we have received these past few weeks. Hicksville truly is a wonderful community and my mother, my sons and I love being a part of this community."