Friday, 13 May 2011 00:00
Winthrop-University Hospital is holding an Open House to invite the public to meet and learn about the daVinci Si HD robot, a cutting-edge, minimally-invasive technology that is ideal for many surgeries and especially appropriate for surgery in delicate or hard-to-reach areas.
The event will take place on May 18 and May 19 at the Winthrop Wellness Pavilion, located at 1300 Franklin Avenue in Garden City. The Open House will include hands-on demonstrations as well as informative lectures about this exciting technology and its benefits.
Following is a schedule of planned events:
• 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Hands-on demonstrations of the daVinci robot
• 10 to 11 a.m. – Gary Levine, MD, attending physician in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at Winthrop
• 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Eva Chalas, MD, chief of division of gynecologic oncology and director of clinical cancer services at Winthrop
• 4 to 5 p.m. – Farr Nezhat, MD, director, minimally invasive gynecologic surgery at Winthrop
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. – Hands on demonstrations of the daVinci robot
• 1 to 2 p.m. – Peter S. Finamore, MD, associate director of urogynecology at Winthrop
• 3 to 4 p.m. – Edward Jimenez, MD, attending physician in the department of gynecology oncology at Winthrop
The open house will give attendees the opportunity to see the robot and attend lectures during which Winthrop’s expert surgeons will describe how the technology is used. The lectures will be followed by a question and answer period from the doctors, all of whom have been trained in Robotic Surgery. The daVinci Robot will be located in the Main Lobby of the Winthrop Wellness Pavilion and will be available for public trial.
The daVinci Si HD is a dual-console robotic surgical system which features magnified 3-D high definition (HD) visualization and state-of-the-art robotic technology. The technology enables physicians to perform surgeries, which result in less scarring and quicker recovery for patients when compared to other surgical techniques. Surgeons at Winthrop are using the daVinci for gynecological surgery including women’s cancers, urology including prostate surgery, bariatric weight-loss surgery, colorectal surgery and more. The number of Winthrop surgeons trained to utilize this highly effective tool to perform surgeries is growing rapidly. For additional information about state-of-the-art surgical services at Winthrop, please call 1-866-WINTHROP.