Healthy Living is a monthly special section published in all 18 Anton Community Newspapers focusing on a wide range of health topics and highlighting the extensive health services available in our area. A sampling of current stories appears here.
In this country, one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and it is one of the most common causes of cancer in men. Each year 30,000 men die each year from prostate cancer, a disease that initially remains confined to the prostate gland. Like other slow-growing cancers, this strain of it may initially need minimal treatment or no treatment, unlike others that can spread quickly.
Two physicians, Dr. Aaron Katz, chairman of the department of urology at Winthrop University Medical Center and Dr. Philippa Cheetham from Columbia University Medical Center, co-hosted the event. Both urologists are also authors, and co-host Katz’s Corner a radio show that airs at 7 a.m. every Sunday morning on WABC 77.0 AM.
For some, riding a bicycle is a simple hobby. For Mike Cohen, a 27-year-old native of Levittown, who now resides in San Diego, CA, biking is a personal statement of triumph and a call to action to other young cancer survivors.
Recently, Cohen completed a cross-country bike ride from San Diego to New York, finishing his journey – and celebrating eight cancer-free years – at North Shore-LIJ’s Monter Cancer Center, where he thanked the oncologist who helped save his life, Steven Allen, MD.
In light of recent news from Consumer Reports, which stated metal bristles from grill-cleaning brushes can break off and then become embedded in food cooked on the grill, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer has called on the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin a safety review on whether metal bristle grill brushes are safe for consumer use.
On May 21, Consumer Reports gave recent examples of two men – one from New Jersey and one from Washington State – who were hospitalized and forced to undergo emergency surgery to remove metal bristles from their stomachs after accidentally eating grilled food that contained bits of the bristles. According to reports, the New Jersey man had to undergo surgery to remove a metal wire that was one and a half inches in length and to repair a hole in his large intestine that was caused by the metal wire. The Washington man also had a metal wire that had broken through his intestines, which doctors found after giving him a CAT scan. According to Consumer Reports, doctors could not remove just the wire alone – they also had to remove a half-foot of his small intestine.
Page 4 of 27<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>