Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Village Square Piazza Project Decision Delayed

The big question on the minds of many residents at Tuesday night’s City of Glen Cove Planning Board meeting has yet to be answered, as the board reserved decision on the application of a four-building piazza for Village Square.

Last month the board held a public hearing allowing residents to ask questions and view a presentation by site developer Michael Puntillo of Jobco Realty and Construction. The plan is to redevelop the property into four buildings that are four- and five-stories high, consisting of 142 multi-family residential apartments and approximately 27,000 square feet of retail space. An additional 107 parking spaces will be added in underground garages, with intent to use the existing garages that are currently underutilized, according to the plan presented at the hearing.

 Addressing Puntillo, Planning Board Chairman Thomas Scott said, “We’ve hit a roadblock. We on this board feel as if a game of Catch 22 is being played, and we don’t want to be caught in the middle of that game. If you can’t purchase the outparcel buildings, it changes the design entirely, it’s not a piazza.” He went on to say the board felt that if an application was granted, the developer could possibly push businesses out, to achieve the greater vision of the piazza.

“We have made extremely fair offers, and if we can’t come to terms, we can peacefully coexist,” Puntillo responded. “The overall economic benefit of having young people in Glen Cove, patronizing stores downtown, far outweighs the concern that the buildings will stay, and outweighs the loss of public space, which is minimal.”

He said they have been reaching out to the business owners of the outparcel buildings for 2-3 years, and that the board would be putting those businesses at an advantage if they thought he couldn’t move forward with the project without them on board.

The board asked if they could extend the decision until the next scheduled meeting in September; Puntillo responded that if the decision was delayed that long, there was no way they could begin building this fall.

The board went into executive session for 15 minutes to discuss with council; they then decided to reserve decision until a special meeting on August 10, at 7:30 p.m. At that time they will either approve or deny the application. There will be no further public hearing on the matter.