Written by Shelly Newman Thursday, 05 June 2014 00:00
Since statistics show that 50 percent of all men and 33.3 percent of all women will have cancer at some point in their lifetime, it is likely that most people know someone who has been affected by cancer In order to help, Marissa Frank, a North Shore High School student, spearheaded the Concert for a Cure to further raise awareness for cancer with all the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society, the host of Relay for Life. Relay is an event that takes place all over the world to help raise money for cancer and cancer research. With community support, this battle can be less of a struggle.
“Relay for Life is such an important and memorable event. I tried to capture it in one emotional, beautiful, and hopeful concert,” says Frank.
She added, “This concert was created in order to raise awareness and money for the Relay for Life, an event that’s been hosted at North Shore for the past seven years. This year, the North Shore community is hoping to raise a cumulative $1 million! In honor of the North Shore Masquers’ first year of having a Relay for Life team, I hosted this concert as a fundraiser. I wish to continue this trend next year and hopefully in the years after I graduate.”
With many of the performers having some connection to cancer (e.g., a close friend or family member), the Concert for a Cure poignantly touched the hearts of all those in the audience. Featured guest performances included “Stars” by the Madrigals, “Being a Survivor” by Rabbi
Janet Liss, and “On Top of the World” by Dylan and Cody Brady. The entire line-up of performances included:
• Stages of Pre-Mature Relay, a one act silent play, directed by Marissa Frank, with student actors Kevin Mccann – Cancer Doctor, Stephanie Goglia – Daughter/Cancer Patient, and Bobby Ottaviano - Gordy Klatt
• “Seasons of Love” from Rent, performed by Michela McDonagh, Stephanie Goglia and Grace Lou
• “Put Your Hearts Up” by Ariana Grande, performed by Grace Lou
• “My Journey” by Grace Blank, performed by Grace Blank
• “Stars” by Erik Esenvalds, performed by Madrigal Singers
• “My Story” by Marissa Frank, performed by Kevin Quinn
• “Warrior” by Demi Lovato, performed by Arielle Frank
• “Being a Survivor” by Janet Liss, performed by Janet Liss
• “Hallelujah” by Alexandra Burke, performed by Marcella Tocco
• “On Top of the World” by Imagine Dragons, performed by Dylan and Cody Brady (Brady Brothers)
Frank said, “I want to thank everyone who performed in the Concert for a Cure, as well as the light, sound, and stage crew including Emily Cartagine, Lexi Weissman, Ryan Faber, Franny Royal, Brandon Gluckstal and Conor Doyle. Additionally, many thanks to Mr. Kleba and Ms. Salat for their guidance throughout this process.”
The North Shore Relay for Life will take place on Saturday evening, June 7, at North Shore High School at 7 p.m. through Sunday, June 8 at 6 a.m. Community participation is greatly appreciated.