Written by Garden City Mayer Donald T. Brudie Friday, 06 January 2012 00:00
The second half of village taxes, which were due and payable on December 1, 2011 are subject to penalty if payment is not made within a 30-day grace period. This year payments received after January 3, 2012, will be subject to penalty. Please return the “second half” bill stub with your payment made payable to the Incorporated Village of Garden City. Please note that Village Hall will be closed on Jan. 2 in observance of the New Year’s holiday. As stated above, tax payments may be placed in the letter slot at the east entrance to Village Hall.
My office has been advised that in keeping their commitment to improving customer service and communication, the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) has implemented a new outage communication tool which will allow customers to report electrical outages at their home or business via texting from their mobile device.
If your power is out, you can now “Text It In.” LIPA’s mobile texting initiative is the first in the State of New York and will provide customers with another avenue of communication for service interruptions. In addition to reporting an outage using the texting feature, LIPA customers can receive information about their outages and planned work going on in their neighborhood by mobile text, email or both. In addition to the mobile texting feature, LIPA customers can still report power outages through LIPA’s website or by calling 1-800-490-0075. To register your cell phone, text REG to myLIPA (695472) or visit http://www.lipower.org/mylipa.
• LIPA has also created new social media channels: LIPAStorm Facebook page and @LIPAStorm twitter feed. While customers will not be able to directly report outages through these sites, customers will be provided with safety and preparedness tips, restoration updates and other important information regarding outages and restoration progress status during storms. The LIPAStorm Facebook page and @LIPAStorm twitter feed build on LIPA’s ongoing pledge to enhance its communication opportunities with its customers and adds to an already wide array of social media initiatives including:
• Twitter feeds-@LIPAnews,@efficiencyLI;
• Facebook page-http://www.facebook. com/efficiencylongisland;
• YouTube-http://www.youtube.com/ LIPowerAuthority;
• Flicker-http://www.flickr.com/LI PowerAuthority.
Residents are reminded that there will be normal garbage and recycling pickup on New Year’s Week. The holiday collection schedule will be as follows:
Western half of Village (West of Rockaway Avenue)
Garbage: Monday and Thursday
Eastern half of Village (East of Rockaway Avenue)
Garbage: Tuesday and Friday
There is only one regularly scheduled Board of Trustees’ meeting in January, which will be held on Jan. 12, 2012.