Written by Garden City Mayor Robert J. Rothschild Friday, 11 February 2011 00:00
A reminder to residents that the following guidelines are to be used in the disposition of refuse in order to protect our employees:
1. Sharp objects, such as broken glass, sharp pieces of metal and knives should not be placed loosely in plastic or paper bags. Proper precaution should be taken, such as placing them in cardboard boxes tied with string or tape.
2. All hypodermic needles should be bent and the point blunted.
3. Dust from vacuum cleaners, barbecue pits and sandings from wooden floors should not be placed loosely in a trash barrel. They should be placed in a paper bag or plastic container for disposal.
4. Dangerous objects, such as acid, gasoline and explosives, should not be placed in garbage or rubbish. If you have any questions concerning the disposal of dangerous items, please call the Sanitation Department.
5. Do not overload containers. The maximum weight per container is 40 lbs. Overloading containers with heavy objects, such as broken concrete, has resulted in back injuries to our personnel.
I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some winter water facts and tips that were recently sent to me.
-Outside water faucets have a valve inside which can be shut off during winter months. Purchasing an insulated hose faucet cover will also help protect the valve from freezing.
-Frozen pipes can result in damage to your home, and repairs can be costly. If you have experienced freeze-up problems in the past, it is suggested that a faucet be allowed to flow with a steady drip, which will help prevent the recurrence of a freeze-up.
-To prevent pipes from freezing, you can insulate them and keep your thermostat set at no less than 60 degrees.
I would like to advise you that the board of trustees will be conducting work sessions to review the proposed 2011/12 Operating/Capital Budgets on:
Thursday, February 10, 7 p.m. (Budget Study Work Session 1)
Saturday, February 12, 8:30 a.m. (Budget Study Work Session 2)
Thursday, February 17, 7 p.m. (Budget Study Work Session 3 — Final)
The next regularly scheduled board of trustees’ meeting will be on Tuesday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m.
I encourage residents to periodically utilize the village’s website for information regarding the village’s operations, as well as items of seasonal and special interest. The address is www.gardencityny.net. For your convenience, listed on the village’s home page under the Heading of Administration is information listing Village Hall hours and a directory with the telephone numbers of Village Department Heads.
To enhance communication within our community, the Village of Garden City is presently using the Social Media Networks of Twitter and Facebook. A direct link to our new media pages can be found on the Home Page of our website as well as by visiting www.twitter.com/villageofgc and www. facebook.com/villageofgc. We encourage everyone to utilize these networks as we provide reminders of upcoming events, news/event announcements, weather alerts and various photos for your enjoyment.