Written by Garden City Mayor Robert J. Rothschild Friday, 21 January 2011 00:00
A reminder to residents who have a natural Christmas tree or wreath to dispose of, please leave them at the curb on your regularly scheduled recycling collection day. They will be collected by the Department of Public Works and offered to other agencies for beach erosion control or rendered at the Village Yard for use around trees and shrubs as mulch.
Please assist the village by removing tree stands, strands of electric lights and plastic bags from the discarded trees and cooperate with your neighbors by disposing of them only on the scheduled recycling collection days.
If you have an artificial Christmas tree for disposal, please call the Sanitation Department for a “Special Pickup” at 465-4031 or 465-4032.
Before it snows, make sure you have shovels, ice chippers, snow blowers, salt, sand and calcium chloride ready to use. If you hire someone to do snow removal, make your arrangements in advance.
Unless it is necessary, please do not go out during or immediately after a snowstorm. The Department of Public Works crews have many hours of hard work to clear away the snow. Less traffic on the roads means the crews will be able to do their job more quickly and completely. Under the best conditions, it will take approximately eight to ten hours after the snow has stopped falling to complete the snow removal operations.
Tips and Suggestions:
• Move cars into the driveway when snow is predicted so plows can clear streets effectively and efficiently.
• Residents who shovel driveways should place snow to the right of their driveways when facing the road. By doing so, residents can reduce the effect of having their driveways “plowed-in” with snow after shoveling.
• The Garden City Fire Department depends on residents to clear snow away from fire hydrants so that in the event of a fire they can access them quickly.
• Shovel your sidewalk as soon as possible after the snow to prevent injuries. If you live on a corner, please also clear a path from the sidewalk to the street at the corner for pedestrians.
• When shoveling, please do not place snow in the road, place it on the lawn.
• Snow that is placed into roadways winds up getting plowed back in front of driveways, inconveniencing neighbors.
The next regularly scheduled board of trustees’ meetings will be on Thursday, Feb. 3; and on Tuesday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m.
I encourage residents to periodically utilize the village’s website for information regarding the village’s operations, as well as items of seasonal and special interest. The address is www.gardencityny.net. For your convenience, listed on the village’s home page under the Heading of Administration is a link, which lists information with regard to the mayor and village board of trustees.