Written by John J. Watras Thursday, 30 January 2014 00:00
Budget Work Sessions
I would like to advise you that the board of trustees will be conducting work sessions to review the proposed 2014-15 operating/capital budgets on:
Saturday, Feb. 8, 8:30 a.m. (Budget Overview/Tour Of Facilities)
Thursday, Feb. 13, 7:30 p.m. (Budget Study/Work Session 1)
Thursday, Feb. 27, 7:30 p.m. (Budget Study/Work Session 2)
Thursday, March 13, 7:30 p.m. (Budget Study/Work Session 3, if necessary)
These sessions are currently scheduled to be held in the boardroom at village hall, 351 Stewart Ave. in Garden City. All residents are welcome and encouraged to attend.
January Is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month
Since January is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month, I thought that it would be a good idea for me to share with you some carbon monoxide safety and awareness tips:
• Install a UL certified battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
• Carefully follow manufacturers’ instructions for placement, use and maintenance.
• If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911 or call the Garden City Fire Department at 516-746-2800.
• Recognize symptoms and seek prompt medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Adhere to manufacturers’ instructions when using appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters.
• Have a qualified technician clean and check fuel-burning appliances and chimneys at the beginning of each season to make sure that they are operating properly.
• Have your vents and chimney checked and cleaned annually.
• Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage or outside near a window.
• Never run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
• Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
• Never heat up your house with a gas stove or oven.
• Never sleep in a room with an un-vented gas or kerosene space heater.
Shop And Dine In Garden City And Enjoy The Experience
There are many things which make Garden City such an appealing place to live and work. One of these is our viable and welcoming business districts with their fine restaurants, unique shops and regional stores.
Many residents consider shopping and dining in our business districts as “experience shopping” because they meet friends and neighbors along the way and have an opportunity to interact with them. This is in stark contrast to frantically dashing through the crowds in the mall or the big box retailers.
I encourage residents to make a conscious effort to choose Garden City as the place to shop and dine. It would be extremely helpful to our business community if you could make one purchase daily in the Village stores. Customer service, selection and quality are outstanding. While shopping or dining let the merchant know that you appreciate them and all that they offer. I look forward to seeing everyone in town.
Board Of Trustees Meeting Schedule
The next regularly scheduled board of trustees’ meetings will be on Thursday, Feb. 6 and on Tuesday, Feb. 18, at 8 p.m. I encourage all residents to attend board of trustees meetings so as to be thoroughly informed of village issues from a first-hand perspective.
I do hope to see some more residents at the board meetings in the coming year.
Wednesday, 30 July 2014 00:00
The Village of Garden City is currently hosting a pilot internship program this summer for four Adelphi University students. The eight-to-10-week test run is also the first time the school has partnered with a municipality, according to its Center for Career Services.
Planning started in May when Mayor John Watras approached Village Administrator Ralph Suozzi about the possibility of hiring interns during July and August. Suozzi, who said he had student interns at his last job, said the program helps provide college students with experience in exchange for a new perspective for village officials.
Saturday, 26 July 2014 00:00
Ozzie is a playful pup looking for a new friend to match his exuberance. He has begun basic obedience training at the shelter and so far has proven to be an “A” student. Ozzie is friendly and gets along well with other dogs. He needs an experienced companion dedicated to continuing his training.
Thursday, 24 July 2014 12:44
Summer Concert Schedule
Garden City’s Department of Recreation and Parks is happy to announce the schedule of its concert series “Summer Music on the Village Green.” The concert series will be held at the gazebo on the corner of Stewart and Hilton Avenues. Concerts are held on Thursdays beginning at 7:15 pm. The schedule is as follows:
July 24 Six Gun
July 31 Tangerine
August 7 The Terry Nova Little Big Band
August 14 Vintage Bliss
To register for any of the above programs for find out further information about openings, please visit www.gardencityrecreation.org for an application or the recreation office at 108 Rockaway Ave.
Thursday, 17 July 2014 00:00The Best Secret In Town!
Did you know that each of our neighbor hood parks runs a playground program every summer? Children entering 1st through 8th grades who are residents of the Village are invited to come to the park during the summer to find out what activities are taking place.
Each park has its own “flavor” and “favorite” activities. The park directors and their staff run games, sports, tournaments, and arts and crafts activities during the day and into the evening. Trips are also run through the parks.