Friday, 17 January 2014 00:00
Floral Park Village Board Meeting
Tuesday, January 21
Hillcrest Civic Association Meets
Thursday, January 23
Sewanhaka Central High School District BOE Meeting
Tuesday, January 28
North End Civic Association meets at Reliance Fire House on Jan. 16 at 7:30 p.m.
Registration for recreation winter and spring programs will be held at the Recreation Center on Jan. 16 from 7 to 9 p.m. A 2014-15 Village of Floral Park Leisure Pass is required.
The Floral Park Village Board of Trustees public meeting will be held on Jan. 21 at 8 p.m. in the Village Hall Court Room.
The Floral Park Bellerose School PTA meeting will be held on Jan. 21 at 7:30 p.m.
Hillcrest Civic Association meets at the Recreation Building on Jan. 23 at 7:30 p.m.
Sewanhaka Central High School District will hold its board of education meeting on Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. at Sewanhaka High School.
The Floral Park Woman’s Club will hold a Valentine Victorian Tea on Saturday, Feb. 8, at St. Elisabeth’s Church, on Harvard Street, with seatings at 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 1:30 p.m. The cost is $20. For reservations and directions call Pat at 516-775-8496. Proceeds from this function will be added to the club’s scholarship fund.
Founder’s Day, hosted by John Lewis Childs School PTA on Feb. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
• Gam-Anon, an anonymous organization for spouses, adult children over 18, family and friends whose lives have been affected by a gambling problem. Meets Mondays at the Jewish Community Center of W. Hempstead, 711 Dogwood Ave., West Hempstead. For information call 516-321-2883.
• Triple Bingo every Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the Bellerose Jewish Center, 254-04 Union Tpke., Floral Park. You can win up to $3,000.
• Nassau Mid-Island Chapter Of The Barber Shop Harmony Society invites any man who is interested in singing barbershop harmony to join them any Tuesday at 7:45 p.m. in the Church of the Advent Winthrop Hall, 555 Advent St. (one block east of Post Ave.; two blocks south of Jericho Tpke.), Westbury. Call George Seelinger 516-333-0803.
• Bingo Robert Van Cott American Legion Post #1139, 734 Woodfield Rd., West Hempstead, hosts a weekly Bingo game Wednesdays at 7:15 p.m. Early bird and game specials.
• Floral Park Arthritis Support Group meetings will be held on the first Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Floral Park Library, Tulip Ave. and Carolina Pl., Floral Park. Call the Arthritis Foundation 516-427-8272.
• AARP Chapter #5224 Floral Park meets on the third Monday of the month at the Floral Park Recreation Center. For further information call Marge Vance, president, 516-354-4296.
• Look Good...Feel Better sponsored by LIJ Medical Center in association with the National Cosmetology Association, the Toiletry Fragrance Association and the American Cancer Society. The program teaches women with cancer how to best apply makeup and wear their hair while undergoing treatment. Meets on the second Monday of every month at LIJ Medical Center, 27005 76th Ave., New Hyde Park. Reservations suggested, but not required. Call Harriet Pine or Selma Robinton 718-470-7094. All women who attend receive a makeup kit filled with brand-name cosmetics valued at over $200.
• Family Promise Of Nassau County—Are you concerned about helping homeless families in our local communities? You are invited to meetings for Family Promise of Nassau County, Inc., the third Monday of every month, at 7:30 p.m. at the New Hyde Park Baptist Church, 635 New Hyde Park Rd., New Hyde Park (516-352-9672). All congregations invited: churches, synagogues, mosques and residents. The need is great. Call Family Promise at 516-684-9833.
• Garden City Ski Club meets on the first and third Wednesdays through April (except holidays) at 7:30 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus, 1000 Marcus Ave., New Hyde Park. Social events, trips to the organization’s lodge in Vermont, and skiing in a variety of areas throughout the West and New England. Ages 21 and over, please. For information visit www.gardencityskiclub.com or call 516-872-1448.
• Order Sons Of Italy meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the VFW Hall, Lincoln Rd., Franklin Square. There are also entertaining programs and refreshments and food are served free at every meeting. Call Sal Palmeri 516-328-0333 for an application.
• Citizen’s Party Of Floral Park meets on the third Wednesday of each month at the American Legion Hall. To become a member, residents are invited to visit www.fpcitizensparty.com or call 516-775-2940.
• Zonta Club Of LI a member of Zonta International, a worldwide service organization with a local club. Members help advance the status of women and are involved in many community service activities. The name Zonta is a word taken from the Sioux and stands for honesty, trust, inspiration and the ability to work together for service and understanding. At meetings members discuss and learn about issues facing women, develop and conduct fun fundraising that benefits community programs and network with Zonta International programs. The club meets at a monthly dinner meeting in New Hyde Park on the third Thursday of each month. Call Kathy Rau 516-488-2796.
• Art League Of NC monthly meeting and demonstration by a guest artist. Meets on the fourth Friday of each month at the New Hyde Park Recreation Center, Clinton G. Martin Park, Marcus Ave. and NHP Rd., NHP (near Union Tpke.) at 7:30 p.m. The public is invited. Refreshments served. Call 516-437-0919. Nonmembers $2. No meetings in June, July, August, December.
Friday, 29 August 2014 00:00
Girl Scouts of Nassau County recently recognized Krista Longobardi and Meaghan Smith, both students at Floral Park Memorial High School, for individually earning their Gold Award, the highest and most prestigious award within the Girl Scouts Organization. In order to be eligible for a Gold Award, a Girl Scout must have completed two Girl Scout Senior or Ambassador Journeys or have already received the Silver Award and completed one additional Journey. The Gold Award also requires the completion of 80-hours or more of an individual leadership Take Action project that makes a sustainable and measurable impact on an important issue, or need in the community, and that serves to educate and inspire others in the community.
Longobardi’s Girl Scout Gold Award Take Action Project, Pick Your Pet, teaches children ages 5-12 the benefits of owning a pet. She was able to educate her community on the adoption process, the best pet for your household, and how adoption can save an animal’s life. Longobardi’s love of animals made it easy to spread knowledge on this topic. She improved her communication and public speaking skills as a result of her project since she spoke in front of her community leaders and peers.
Thursday, 28 August 2014 00:00
Saint Mary’s High School will host the 22nd Annual Don Monti Memorial Golf Classic and Fall Alumni Dinner on Thursday, Sept. 25, at Plandome Country Club. Following the golf outing, a dinner reception will take place where Tom Raleigh, of Floral Park, will be honored with the Timothy J. Coughlin ’76 Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions to St. Mary’s High School.
Raleigh has deep connections to St. Mary’s High School and the Manhasset community. Four of Raleigh’s five children went to St. Mary’s: Tom, Jr. ’88, Brian, ’91, Katie ’93, Kevin ’95. Raleigh has been a loyal St. Mary’s advocate both as a past parent and former coach.