Anton Community Newspapers  •  132 East 2nd Street  •  Mineola, NY 11501  •  Phone: 516-747-8282  •  FAX: 516-742-5867
Intended comprare kamagra senza ricetta company.
Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Historical Note: Farmingdale Theaters

The first theater in Farmingdale was called the Farmingdale Opera House. The opera house stood on the corner of Main and Richard Streets opposite the Main Street School.

Mr. Adam Heiselmann was the owner of the opera house. Stock companies performed here. At the same time the opera house was running the Unqua Theater was built by the Wardell Brothers of Amityville. The building stood farther north on Main Street than the opera house. Movies were shown here.

Later on, the opera house was closed and it became a factory.

A new theater called the Strand Theater was opened in a garage that stood where Comos now stands. In 1925 Mr. Sidney Jacobson became the manager of the Strand Theater.

The Unqua Theater closed down and reopened again with Mr. Jacobson as its manager also. Later on, the Unqua Theater also closed permanently.

In 1933 the garage was remodeled into a regular theater.

In 1942 the present Farmingdale Theater was completed next to where the Strand Theater stood. Now the Farmingdale Theater is the only theater in Farmingdale. Mr. Jacobson became the manager.

On October 26, 1950 the Farmingdale Theater was destroyed by fire and only the four walls remained.

In the spring of 1951 the Farmingdale Theater was reconstructed and again opened to its patrons.

An attorney’s office occupies the building now.