The Women's Club of Farmingdale met on Thursday, April 3. The club celebrated its 95th birthday with a delicious luncheon held at Verona Restaurant in Farmingdale, arranged by Ann LoMonte and her committee Dolores Meglio, Marge Manzo, Madeline Bondetti and standing in for Dolores, who wasn't able to attend, was Helen Norjen.
The Club was founded by Abigail E. Leonard. Miss Leonard was a teacher who taught in Erasmus Hall High in Brooklyn from 1897 to 1911. In 1912 she moved to Farmingdale. She became acquainted with the wives of some of the prominent men in Farmingdale and together they formed the Women's Club of Farmingdale. She was the club's first secretary and became president in 1915 and served for 10 years. As you can see, Women's Club is still going strong.
President Dolores Cianciabella warmly greeted members and guests, followed by a prayer given by Helen Ghiorsi.
Six new members were formally inducted into Women's Club by co-chairperson of the membership committee, Fran Rotondo. They are Anna Ievolo, Cheryl Parisi, Helene Salsano, Gert Clark, Judy Vilas and Lynn Connolly. The new members were presented with yellow roses. Celebrating 50 years with Women's Club is Ruth Mace and 25 years for Barbara Tyree. Both women will receive congratulatory certificates from the General Federation of Women's Club and a gift from the Farmingdale Club. Florence Kauford's name was placed on the State Honor Roll for her dedicated service to Women's Club.
At the meeting members brought in paper plates, paper towels, napkins and other paper products to be donated to Farmingdale Outreach for people who are in need of them.